Thursday, May 24, 2012

So, it has been awhile since I last posted. That has to do with the fact that I mostly post my food adventures and food has been an issue for me for some time now. I finally have a diagnosis and it is not a good one for someone who loves food. I have achalasia. This is a condition where the muscles of the esophagus atrophy and the sphincter leading into the stomach doesn't open properly. Peristalsis is also not working in the esophagus so I have given up any dream of being an astronaut. I have moved to a liquid diet and am currently looking for food options that work for me in my condition. What this means is that I am now an achalasia food blogger. My diet at the moment is pretty simple- if it purees I eat it. I have oatmeal or cream of wheat for breakfast with my coffee. I add cream to everything that I can for the added fats and calories. Lunch is usually a fruit smoothie with whey protein and a one-a-day vitamin added for nutritional supplement. Dinner is currently either something based on mashed potatoes or gazpacho variations with nutritional yeast added as a supplement. I can eat very tiny grains so quinoa is also something that I have added to my diet. I will be looking for recipes that are good for my condition and I will be posting them. I will also be researching medieval recipes that work. I do have issues with potassium and so any advice about adding beans as a protein source, while welcome for the general audience, is not an option I can take except as a periodic option. The last thing I need is to crash my blood pressure while dealing with my current food issues. And yes, I have done it twice already while adjusting my diet- with bananas in the smoothies and with mixing hummus and guacamole. Delicious but way too much potassium for me. The biggest problem that I have has been eating out and the only advice I have at the moment is to not be afraid of asking for what you need. Indian restaurants are great because the sauces are good with rice alone and a mango lassi is a great drink. Fast food places are a problem as they usually have few options that aren't hand-held but smoothies are becoming more common on fast food menus and that is something. DO NOT ORDER THE SECOND CUP SMOOTHIES- yuck. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achalasia

No comments: